Tuesday, October 20, 2015

FREE PATTERN: Owl Camera Lens Buddy

Hi there!
A friend of mine asked me to make her an owl camera lens buddy for her new photography business, so I worked this little guy up. He would also be great on the end of a baby bottle, I think. It's only a simple little pattern, but I thought I'd share it in hopes that it would help someone out. I wrote it down as I went along, but have not made a second one to test it out so please, if you find any errors or have any questions, let me know.

  
Owl Camera Lens Buddy
©Anita Shore Elmore
http://aseknc.blogspot.com/
aseknc@gmail.com

You may not sell or claim this pattern as your own.
You may, however, share the pattern freely and sell any items you make using this pattern, all that I ask is that you give me credit as the designer with the info above.
Thank you for respecting my copyright.
Please enjoy!

MATERIALS
Hooks: US G and D
Yarn: DK weight (in two complimenting colors – called color 1 and color 2 throughout pattern (+) a small amount of white and black)
Ponytail holder / hair tie

ABBREVIATIONS
ch                    chain
sts                   stitches
sl st                 slip stitch
sc                    single crochet
hdc                  half double crochet
dc                    double crochet
tc                     triple crochet
inc                   increase
dc2tog            double chain 2 together
sp                    space
fo                     finish off

NOTES
Beginning ch 1 / ch 2 does NOT count as first st in each round.
Start each round in same stitch as joining sl st from previous round.
When finishing off eyes, leave long tail for sewing.

BODY/HEAD
Using US G hook & holding 2 strands of yarn together:

Round 1: using color 1 attach yarn to ponytail holder with a sl st, ch 2, dc 38 around ponytail holder, join to top of first dc. (38 sts)

Round 2: ch 2, (dc 3, dc inc)x3, dc2tog, *dc, tc, ch 2, tc, dc *in next st, dc2tog x4, *dc, tc, ch 2, tc, dc *in next st, dc2tog, (dc 3, dc inc)x3, join switching to color 2. (44 sts + 2 ch 2 sp)

Round 3: ch 2, (hdc 4, hdc inc)x3, hdc 3, *hdc 1, ch 2, hdc 1 *in ch 2 sp, hdc 8, *hdc 1, ch 2, hdc 1 *in ch 2 sp, hdc 3, (hdc 4, hdc inc)x3, fo.

EYES (make 2)
Using US D hook & only a single strand of yarn:

Round 1: using black yarn, ch 2, sc 6 in first ch, join switching to color 1 (6 sts)

Round 2: ch 1, (sc 2) across, join switching to white (12 sts)

Round 3: ch 1, (hdc 1, hdc inc) around, fo.

Sew to body/head as seen in pic.

EARS
For each ear:

Cut 2 strands of each body color (+) 2 strands of white (or other complimentary color) approximately 4” long.

Holding these 6 strands together, fold in half. Push resulting loop in one of the ch 2 sp, going from front to back, enough to pull ends back through loop. Pull snugly to secure and trim ends to desired length. 

BEAK
Using yellow yarn, embroider beak as seen in pic. 

Enjoy!

♥♥♥

17 comments:

  1. Lovely idea and pattern. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the stitch count for the end of round 2 and 3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan!
      According to the pattern
      Round 2 should be 44 sts + 2 ch 2 sp
      but apparently, I must not have recorded the stitch count at the end of Round 3. I'm sorry!

      Delete
  3. Do you sell these? I just don't have the time to make one as work just got very busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, No, not right now. My plate is quite full as well these days. Sorry! ♥

      Delete
  4. Do you sell these? I just don't have the time to make one as work just got very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot get the 38 to add up to 44 in round two with that number of increase/decreases. I've done it multiple times and tried the math in my head and if just doesn't add up.. can you help??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous :D
      Here is a breakdown of round 2:
      ch 2....................= 0
      (dc3, dc inc)x3.........= 15 (dc 3 + dc inc, which is 2, = 5; done x3 = 15)
      dc2tog..................= 1
      *dc, tc, ch 2, tc, dc...= 4 (+ 1 ch 2 sp)
      dc2tog x4...............= 4
      *dc, tc, ch 2, tc, dc...= 4 (+ 1 ch 2 sp)
      dc2tog..................= 1
      (dc3, dc inc)x3.........= 15 (dc 3 + dc inc, which is 2, = 5; done x3 = 15)

      So...
      0 + 15 + 1 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 15 = 44 (+ 2 ch 2 sp)

      I hope this helps! ♥

      Delete
    2. There is no way to get all 44 stitches into the previous row. By the time you get to the last set of 15 there are only 5 stitches left. Something is way off with this pattern. I can't get it right and neither can ladies I asked help from in a couple of groups.

      Delete
    3. Heather, after reading your comment I wanted to make sure whether there was indeed "something way off with this pattern" as you said so I got out my yarn and hook and followed the pattern exactly as it is typed in this post (as opposed to the notes that I took as I created it) just to make sure so that I could correct it if I had counted or typed it up wrong. However, I came up with exactly 44 stitches plus 2 ch 2 spaces just as specified in the pattern. As in the notes at the beginning of the pattern, the beginning ch 2 does not count as a stitch. Also, as in the notes at the beginning of the pattern, start each round in the same stitch that you joined previous round in (at end of round 1, you join in top of first dc, then when you begin round 2, you chain 2 then dc into same first dc of round one that you joined in). How many stitches are you coming up with at the end of round 2?

      Delete
    4. Heather, I had the same issue... After Anita's reply I realized that I didn't crochet into the same stitch as the beginning chain 2 and the (dc,tc,ch2,tc,dc) are all in the same stitch. When I did it again I came up with 44 stitches and 2 ch2 spaces as written.

      Delete
    5. Thank you so much for the confirmation Lan! ♥

      Delete
  6. These are so cute! I'm having trouble getting my boys to look at my camera lately so these should be really helpful. Thank you for sharing this great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca! I hope that it is indeed helpful! You are very welcome! ♥

      Delete
  7. Do you happen to have a YouTube video for this? I'm kind of a beginner still and I'm so lost......I've tried making this for about 3 hours now ..... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misty, I'm sorry honey, I don't have a YouTube video, but where are you getting lost/stuck? I will do my best to help...

      Delete

I absolutely love comments from you and do my best to respond to each one, either on the post or (if you leave your email address) to you individually.
Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy life to visit with me a while!

Hugs & Blessings,
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸..•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`-: † :- Anita
aseknc(at)gmail(dot)com