Saturday, May 4, 2013

More Baby Granny Blankets and a Free Dishcloth Pattern to Share

Hello friends!

As usual, I've been staying busy. It's amazing how faithful God is to answer prayers in abundance, giving far more than you dare to ask. I remember asking that one day for Him to give me something to do besides go to the grocery store and back which, at the time, was my one outing each week. I never imagined He'd give me quite so much to do! I do love it though and am very thankful for the task He's laid out before me. I am so blessed that He has taken my past...the good, the bad and the ugly...and is working it for good because I love Him and am called to His purpose (Romans 8:28). I don't get as much time to work with my hands these days, but I am always working with His heart. 

Occasionally, I do get to work with my hands though and over the last month or so I have made two more baby granny blankets for the center, still using the upcycled yarn from the "too small" baby blankets I made the last one from (only different colors).


This one I finished off with a scalloped edge instead of a picot edge...


Since I finished the last one early April, I haven't had the time, energy or focus to work on anything else until this weekend. I have been struggling with a bad cold over the last few days and it has forced me to be still, and consequently, time to get some yarnin' done. ☺When I do get to "throw yarn" as my hubby calls it (regardless of whether I'm knitting or crocheting), I tend to migrate towards quick projects that I can whip up in a day or two because otherwise I'd never know when I might get another chance to sit down and finish it. With that in mind, and some cotton yarn sitting in a canvas bag right next to my end of the couch, I decided that a dishcloth was in order and headed on over to Ravelry to do a search. I ultimately chose the Candy Striper Cloth pattern by Katherine Vaughan (If you aren't on Ravelry, you can go directly to the pattern here.) 


This was the perfect pattern for the moment! It was super-easy to memorize the stitch pattern, but it wasn't at all boring. In fact, time flew as I was making it, which makes me think that maybe it would be a great pattern for a baby blanket. Technically, the pic is of the "wrong side," but I rather like the way it looks and added a crab stitch/reverse single crochet border with this side facing me so that it would become my "right side."  For those who do not know how to do a crab stitch/reverse single crochet border, I went on a search to find good directions to share with you and came across this video by Teresa Richardson aka Crochet Geek who is absolutely amazing and so generous to share so many wonderful patterns and tutorials for free so that everyone can join in on the fun of crochet!  ☺

As for my cold, my boss/sister-in-Christ/friend is very knowledgeable about natural remedies and swears by cayenne pepper (which is a natural anti-biotic & anti-fungal and has MANY wonderful healing properties and attributes....I never take anything, no matter how much I love and trust someone, without doing the research myself!), but I can't take it the way that she recommends (stirring some in a glass of water and gargling and/or drinking it), but I figured out tricky ways to sneak it in and have been putting cayenne pepper in everything right down to my OJ since yesterday morning. I have found that for the most part, you can put a few shakes (or up to 1/8 tsp or so) in most things and not even taste it! You do feel a little heat as you eat/drink, but nothing really off-putting. After doing this all day, last night I was actually able to sleep through the night and I woke up feeling as though my head was normal size! So, I'm sold! (**ok, just to cover my butt here, this is not meant as medical advice y'all...just sharing my experience)

And now, while I'm still grounded, I do believe I'll go do some more creatin'. ☺

♥♥♥
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
--Romans 8:28 NIV

6 comments:

  1. The baby blankets look great Anita - nice color combinations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi! I wouldn't have necessarily used those colors if I was going to buy yarn specifically for the blankets, but I was trying to use only the yarn that I recycled from the original blankets that I had been given. I'm happy with how they turned out. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I am planning on making your Americana pillow as soon as possible...I love it, and thank you for sharing it! I'm Canadian by birth, but American by choice, and am away from home (Georgia) at the moment and very homesick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! You are very welcome! I'd love to see how it turns out when you do get to make it! I actually live in Tennessee, so when you're home, we're neighbors! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Anita, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris!
      Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words. I am so glad that you've enjoyed your visit to my little corner of the web. :) I will definitely go and check your blog out! Hugs, ♥Anita

      Delete

I absolutely love comments from you and do my best to respond to each one, either on the post or (if you leave your email address) to you individually.
Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy life to visit with me a while!

Hugs & Blessings,
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸..•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`-: † :- Anita
aseknc(at)gmail(dot)com