Friday, December 23, 2011

Child's Super Bulky HDC Beanie - Free Crochet Pattern

Hello friends!
Here's a hat I made for my niece and I thought I'd share how I made it with you.
I wrote it down as I went along, but have not made a second one to test it out so please, if you find any errors or have any questions, let me know.
PDF also available on my free patterns page. 



Child's Super Bulky HDC Beanie
(with or without ear flaps)
©Anita Elmore
http://aseknc.blogspot.com/
aseknc.blogspot.com
You may not sell or claim this pattern as your own.

You may, however, share the pattern freely & sell any items you make using this pattern, all that I ask is that you give me credit as the designer with the info above.
Thank you for respecting my copyright.

Please enjoy!


SIZE
Child (5-12)

MATERIALS
Hook: P (16 mm)
Yarn: Super Bulky (6)

ABBREVIATIONS
Ch = chain
ea = each
st = stitch
sc = single chain
hdc = half double crochet
sl st = slip stitch
fo = finish off

**do no turn work unless specified**

BEANIE
Ch 2
Round 1: sc 6 in 2nd ch from hook, join. (6)
Round 2: Ch 1 loosely, hdc in same st, 2hdc in ea remaining st around, join. (12)
Round 3: Ch 1 loosely, hdc in same st, hdc in next st *2hdc in next st, hdc in next st *around, join (18)
Round 4: Ch 1 loosely, hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st *hdc in next 2 sts, 2hdc in next st *around, join (24)
Round 5: Ch 1 loosely, hdc in same st, hdc in next 3 sts *2hdc in next st, hdc in next 3 sts *around, join (30)
Round 6-12: Ch 1 loosely, hdc in next st and ea remaining st around, join (30)

If you prefer a basic beanie without ear flaps, then finish off at this point. Otherwise, continue with pattern....

EAR FLAPS
#1
Ch 1, hdc in next 5 sts, turn.
Ch 1, skip 1st st, hdc in rem 4 sts, turn
Ch 1, skip 1st st, hdc in next st, ch 1, skip next st, hdc in next st, fo.
This will leave 2 holes at the bottom of the flap.

#2
Join yarn with sl st in 8th st from ear flap #1 and continue following pattern as written for #1

**There will be more space between the flaps across the front of the hat then there is across the back.**

BRAIDS
Cut 12 strips of yarn, each about a yard long. Thread 6 through the front hole at the bottom of ea flap and braid until you have approximately 3½" of unbraided yarn at the end. Secure by making one big knot with the remaining yarn.


12 comments:

  1. If I wanted to make this for 0-6 months, how would I alter the pattern to fit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie,
    When I find a pattern that I like but it's bigger than the size I am looking for I usually go down in hook size and or yarn size instead of altering the pattern itself. I've not measured and/or made this for any other size than what is listed here, and not sure which size hook and/or yarn you'd need to go down to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady, you have no idea how delighted I am with you right now! I've been roaming the web for the last 3 hours in search of a pattern for a hat for my 3 year old girl, using extra chunky yarn. Literally all of them are for new borns!!! Finally I found this one, granted its for 5-12 but I'm sure I can manage to get it a tad smaller. You are a legend!!! x Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, your comment absolutely made my day!!!! I am so glad that I was able to share a pattern with you that is just what you needed! That's so awesome. I would wager a bet that it wouldn't be too big for your 3 year old, if any at all. It will even grow with her, because it's a bit stretchy. Enjoy!♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pattern my sisters friend wanted a hat for her daughter with chunky yarn and I FOUND YOU!!! thanks very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YaY! I'm so glad that I could share it with you and that you love it so! You're very welcome! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the pattern! I was looking all over for a toddler size hat (not a tiny baby) with ear flaps. I used a smaller hook like you suggested in a earlier comment it came out the right size! I used a J/10-6.00mm hook. I also made the ear flaps a little bigger and scooted them to the front so they could keep her cheeks warm too. Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YaY! I am so glad that it worked out like you needed it to and that you are so happy with the pattern and the way that your hat turned out! It is my pleasure to share the pattern with you! ♥

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for the pattern! I made it a little smaller for my petite 6 year old, then I put eyes and a beak, per her request! I appreciate you sharing this awesome pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! You are quite welcome. :) Thank YOU for your sweet comment. I'd love to see a pic if you took one! :)

      ♥Anita

      Delete

I absolutely love comments from you and do my best to respond to each one, either on the post or (if you leave your email address) to you individually.
Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy life to visit with me a while!

Hugs & Blessings,
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸..•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`-: † :- Anita
aseknc(at)gmail(dot)com