Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hello there!

Hello friends!

Remember I told you in an extremely personal post that I was getting off of the anti-depressant medication Effexor? I've been meaning to update y'all about that for a while, but boy, this has been one crazy year! You guys will be so happy for me! I did it! I tapered down over a couple of months and finally got completely off! While I was tapering off I really didn't have a hard time with the withdrawals. The first day or two when I would go down in dosage I'd have mild withdrawal symptoms, until I got to where I was down to only taking 1/4 tab each day then that wasn't enough to register in my body and the withdrawals hit me so hard! For about a month it hit me the hardest.... I was always so disoriented and had what has been termed "brain shivers" or "brain zaps"...talk about an awful feeling! It was like my brain was working on delayed timing. I could move my eyes and it would take 3 or 4 seconds for my brain to catch up...Most of the time I was scared to drive because I was so disoriented and I would "lose time". Wayne or the boys would talk to me and all of a sudden the conversation would be over and I would have to ask them what we talked about. I could recall "buzzes and clicks" ...kinda like the teacher of the old Peanut's cartoons....not a bit fun. I researched to see how long these effects would last and found that average was 1-7 YEARS....with some reports of it lasting the rest of the person's life! These symptoms have finally over the last few weeks eased up tremendously, with only rare occasions of the brain shivers/zaps and/or losing time. I definitely learned a valuable lesson here....Just because a doctor prescribes it doesn't mean it's good for you. I will never again take a prescription (with the exception of emergencies) without researching first! Before this I always thought that the "fine print" of what "could happen while taking a med was in rare cases so I didn't give it much thought....now I know to actually research how it has affected real-life people and weigh the pros & cons of a medication accordingly.  

On the bright side, I am completely anti-depressant free and for the most part, I'm feeling great! I do have some emotional times, but I'm learning better ways of dealing with them (which includes allowing myself to feel the emotions sometimes)....and prescription meds will be a last resort from now on.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've pushed through difficulties and feeling good now - yay! I agree that sometimes we just need to detox our systems it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda!
    I don't know that I'll be able to stay off of the meds forever, but the side effects of Effexor in particular were way worse than the initial depression that I experienced before I started taking anti-depression medications. I will definitely be alot more aware of what I do put into my body from now on!♥

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments from you and do my best to respond to each one, either on the post or (if you leave your email address) to you individually.
Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy life to visit with me a while!

Hugs & Blessings,
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸..•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`-: † :- Anita
aseknc(at)gmail(dot)com